Salary negotiation can be intimidating. There’s a lot on the line and every situation is unique. Plus, there are so many questions that it can feel overwhelming.
- Should you negotiate your salary?
- What if the company retracts your job offer?
- Are you paid what you’re worth?
- Should you disclose your current or desired salary?
- How do you ask for a raise?
It can be easy to just throw your hands up in frustration, but then you could be leaving many thousands of dollars on the table.
The most common salary negotiation mistake? Not negotiating at all.
Ashley was interviewing for a new consulting opportunity at a software company. Her old company was going through a significant reorganization, and she was looking for a new opportunity in a more stable working environment. She was even willing to accept a lateral move in pay to get out of the old company and into a new one. She wasn't planning to negotiate if they made her an offer that matched her current salary.
We scheduled a time to talk and I asked her some questions:
- "What is your market value?" Quite a bit higher than her current pay.
- "How do you stack up against other consultants in your industry?" She was one of the most experienced consultants in the industry.
- "How badly does this new company need your expertise?" They desperately needed her specific skillset and experience.
She was in a very strong negotiating position, but didn't even plan to negotiate if they could meet her current salary! With a little bit of coaching, she decided to negotiate rather than accepting a lateral move. The result? She made an additional $15,000 in base salary by negotiating her job offer.
This simple method will earn you thousands of dollars
The best part? You can use this method over and over throughout your career when you change jobs and you can use it at your current job. It's easy and repeatable.
If you could negotiate a $5,000 increase, you would make $5,000 more that first year. And you would make $5,000 the next year, and the next year, and the next year. Over 20 years, that $5,000 salary increase would be worth more than $100,000. That’s a lot of money to leave on the table out of frustration or fear.
Salary negotiation doesn't have to be scary - it's a skill you can learn, practice, and improve. Read Fearless Salary Negotiation, take notes, then follow Josh Doody's step-by-step negotiation process. Your future self will thank you.Josh Kaufman, best selling author of The Personal MBA and The First 20 Hours
Everything you need to get paid what you're worth
Each edition of Fearless Salary Negotiation includes:
- The 200-page book in three formats (PDF, ePub and mobi)
- 2 starter courses to help you learn how companies decide what to pay you, and estimate your market value
- 4 detailed, easy-to-use worksheets to implement what you learn
- 7 email templates you can use to make communicating easier
- The Interview Cheat Sheet so you're prepared for every interview
The Ultimate Salary Upgrade Edition and The Raise and Promotion Edition include up to 3 premium, self-paced courses in addition to the 2 starter courses included with every edition. That's over 50 lessons and three hours of self-paced content—to teach you to negotiate your salary like a pro.
Table of Contents
- About the author
- How to get the most out of this book
- Part 1: Understanding your market value
- A few fundamental concepts
- Chapter 1. How companies manage their salary structures
- Chapter 2. How to estimate your market value
- Part 2: Getting paid what you’re worth when changing companies
- Leveraging your best opportunity to significantly increase your salary
- Chapter 3. How to ace your next interview
- Chapter 4. How to negotiate your new salary
- Chapter 5. How to leave a job on the best possible terms
- Part 3: Getting paid what you’re worth within your current company
- Do you have to quit your job to get a big raise?
- Chapter 6. How to get your next promotion
- Chapter 7. How to get your next raise
Common questions and answers about Fearless Salary Negotiation
Will Fearless Salary Negotiation work for me?
Yes. Whether you’re an experienced executive or a recent college grad looking for your first full-time job, Fearless Salary Negotiation will help you negotiate a higher salary.
Josh C. is a Senior Business Development Executive and Harrison is a recent college grad:
Using techniques from Fearless Salary Negotiation—along with the included email templates and worksheets—I accepted a new job after getting my salary increased by $20K from the original offer along with an extra week of vacation! I had the confidence to go in with a strong negotiating position based on the knowledge I gained from the book.Josh C., Senior Business Development Executive
Fearless Salary Negotiation gave me the confidence to navigate between two offers with pressing timelines, resulting in a competitive salary and challenging work.Harrison P., Healthcare Development Officer
What if I don’t need Fearless Salary Negotiation right now?
Remember that example above where you negotiated $5,000 more in base salary and that added up to more than $100,000 over the next 20 years of your career? If you wait just one year, then that same $5,000 is only worth $95,000 over the next 20 years. Wait two years and that same $5,000 increase is only worth $90,000 over the next 20 years. The sooner you start getting paid what you're worth, the more money you will make over the course of your career.
I don’t have time for this right now.
That’s not a question! But I’ll answer it anyway. ;) You can read Fearless Salary Negotiation cover to cover in about 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon. I'll even send you short emails with one key takeaway from each chapter so you get the highlights if you can't start reading right away. The courses are about three hours total, so you could easily knock those out on Sunday afternoon. I don’t like fluff, so Fearless Salary Negotiation is a lean guide full of tactics and light on fluff.
Justin didn’t even read the whole book—he just skimmed two chapters—and he made another $11,000.
Thanks to Fearless Salary Negotiation, I was able to earn another $11,000 with a single email. This is the most valuable email I've ever sent, and I wouldn't have sent it if it wasn't for Fearless Salary Negotiation.Justin Abrahms, Senior Software Engineer
Fearless Salary Negotiation
Choose the edition that works for you
The Ultimate Salary Upgrade Edition
The eBook, starter courses, worksheets & templates, case studies, and Interview Cheat Sheet plus three premium, self-paced courses will show you how to get paid what you're worth
The Basic Edition
The eBook, starter courses, worksheets & templates, case studies, and Interview Cheat Sheet
This book is your step-by-step guide to getting paid what you're worth throughout your career.
If you're changing jobs, this is your playbook for acing interviews, getting the strongest job offer possible, and maximizing your starting salary.
If you're staying put, this is your guide to building the best case for your next raise or promotion by looking at things from a manager's perspective.
The PDF is 200 pages. You'll also get ePub and mobi versions so you can read it on your favorite mobile device or e-reader.
Click here to see a preview of the book.
These 3 premium self-paced courses contain nearly 3 hours of content over 50 lessons you can watch any time. Each lesson outlines the concepts clearly and provides specific action item for you.
Three premium self-paced courses
- How to ace your next interview—an in-depth course (11 lessons, over 50 minutes) to confidently prepare for and ace your job interviews to get the best job offer possible
- How to negotiate your starting salary—an in-depth course (18 lessons, over 50 minutes) to negotiate your starting salary like a pro
- How to get your next raise or promotion—an in-depth course (22 lessons, over 50 minutes) to get your next raise or promotion at your current job
You get 4 detailed worksheets and 7 email templates to help you implement everything you learn as easily as possible.
Worksheets to walk you through...
- Building your case for your next raise or promotion
- Estimating the market value of your skillset and experience
- The entire salary negotation process
Email templates for...
- Following up throughout the interview process
- Delivering your counteroffer in a salary negotiation
- Requesting your next raise or promotion
You get 3 case studies from Fearless Salary Negotiation customers.
- Kevin disclosed his current and desired salaries early in the interview process, then later realized his stated desired salary was too low.
- Ashley was prepared to accept a lateral move to a new company, but realized she underestimated her market value.
- Jason was reticent to negotiate an already-strong job offer. He didn’t want to look greedy or ungrateful.
How to get your next raise or promotion—an in-depth course (22 lessons, over 50 minutes) to get your next raise or promotion at your current job
Two self-paced starter courses to help you learn how companies decide what to pay you, and estimate your market value
- How to estimate your market value—a short course (2 lessons, less than 15 minutes) to estimate the market value of your skillset and experience in your industry
- How companies manage their salary structures—a short overview (2 lessons, less than 15 minutes) of how companies manage compensation structures to determine your salary
A simple, printable, two-page PDF to get through any job interview
- What to look for when researching a company
- How to respond when they ask for your current or desired salary
- How to answer almost any interview question
- Common types of questions you should expect
- Questions you should ask when you get the chance
- Checklists so you don't forget anything before your interview
60-day money back guarantee
If you’re not happy with the book or courses, reach out any time in the first 60 days and I’ll refund your money.
That’s it—there’s no fine print. I know how valuable Fearless Salary Negotiation is and I know you’ll find it valuable.
So how does this work? What are you buying?
When you buy Fearless Salary Negotiation, you’ll be able to download all the files directly to your device. Everything is bundled in .zip files so you can easily download exactly what you need.
You own the book and courses.—I don’t use DRM or limit the number of devices you can use—and you will own them forever.
For example, if you buy the Ultimate Salary Upgrade Edition, you can download everything in six files: one .zip file for each course and one .zip file for the book, worksheets, email templates, case studies, and The Interview Cheat Sheet. The contents of the course .zip files are organized so you can see exactly what’s inside and esaily jump to any lesson.
I’ll even email you to let you know when I update the book or courses.
Who are you and why should I buy from you?
I'm Josh Doody—a Computer & Electrical Engineer, MBA, author, and consultant. I didn't negotiate my salary at my first few jobs, but quickly realized I had left a lot of money on the table. I began negotiating and I doubled my salary in three years.
With the experience and confidence I gained from doubling my own salary, I began helping others make thousands more dollars as well. You can read their stories on the testimonials page.
I took everything I learned from my own experience and helping others and wrote Fearless Salary Negotiation, a #1 Best Seller on Amazon. My book, courses and 1-on-1 coaching have helped many people earn tens of thousands more dollars, and Fearless Salary Negotiation can help you too!
Josh’s advice helped me land a better job and a bigger salary with more benefits than I even thought possible.Eric Macam, Lead Scientist
PS The sooner you start negotiating your salary like a pro, the sooner you'll get paid what you're worth
Fearless Salary Negotiation will teach you skills you can use over and over throughout your career, earning more money every time, so this is one of the best investments you’ll ever make.
Ready to get started? Click here to choose the edition that’s best for you.