Get promoted quickly at work
A free, 7-lesson email course on how to show your boss that you deserve a promotion
- Daily emails walking you through the entire process step by step. Each day you'll get specific action items so you know exactly how to get promoted at work.
- A complete guide to getting your next promotion. You'll get a guide for easy reference.
- A simple worksheet to keep track of all your progress. As you complete action items each day, you can use the worksheet to keep everything organized.
- An email template to send to your manager after you've requested your promotion. Once you've met with your manager, you can use the email template make your case in writing.
This course on how to get promoted at work will help you confidently present your best case for your next promotion.
Josh’s advice helped me land a better job and a bigger salary with more benefits than I even thought possible.Eric Macam, Lead Scientist
What you'll learn
- Day 1: Let's go get it
- An introduction and we squash some common reasons people give for not asking for a promotion.
- Day 2: Define your goal
- You'll clearly define your target job and identify the differences between that job and your current job.
- Day 3: Produce results to show you're ready
- You'll put together a game plan to demonstrate that you're ready for a promotion to your target job.
- Day 4: Document your accomplishments and accolades
- You'll gather the evidence you need to make your best case for your promotion.
- Day 5: Prepare your case
- You'll prepare to talk to your manager and draft a written request for your promotion.
- Day 6: Present your case
- You'll ask for your promotion and then follow up with a request in writing.
- Day 7: Wrapping up and looking ahead
- We'll discuss the possible outcomes of your request and make a plan for each one.
About your teacher
I'm Josh Doody, a professional salary negotiation coach who helps Software Developers get more job offers and negotiate higher salaries. On average, the Software Developers I work with improve their job offers by $16,360.
I didn't negotiate my salary at my first few jobs, but quickly realized I had left a lot of money on the table. I began negotiating and I doubled my salary in three years.
Now I use everything I learned from my own experience to help others make tens of thousands more dollars negotiating with Google, Amazon, Tesla, @WalmartLabs, Zillow, Kimberly-Clark, Bloomberg, Red Hat, Verizon, IBM, Microsoft, and other companies you've heard of.
You can learn my strategy and tactics with my book, Fearless Salary Negotiation: A step-by-step guide to getting paid what you're worth.
What if I'm not ready?
Fair question! Promotions seem like things that are granted to us by companies when they feel like it. But the reality is you don’t need to wait for a promotion to come to you.
Here are some common reasons we talk ourselves out of asking for that promotion, along with my response for each one—many of these may sound familiar:
- I don't even know how to ask for a promotion. Do I ask in person? Through email? You will start by asking in person, then follow up with an email. I'll walk you through both!
- What if my manager says no? I’m going to help you put together a very strong case to minimize this possibility. But even if your manager does say no, that’s ok because you can still say, “Ok, I understand. Can you help me understand why I’m not ready for a promotion so I know what to work on?”
- Do I deserve a promotion? It’s not about the time you put in, but the value you add to your company. I will help you demonstrate that you've earned a promotion.
- Do I just need to work harder and harder until I get a promotion? It would be nice if it were this simple, but this just isn’t how companies work.
- Don’t I have to wait until my next performance review? Nope!
You can do this, and I'll walk you through it step-by-step in this free course on how to get promoted at work!